How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Girard Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Girard homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. Buy a CO detector for each room of your home. You can call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO detectors. It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
  4. Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to verify no CO leaks are present at the start of heating season. 
  5. If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a newer high efficiency system. 

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.