Colder months in Girard are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners understand that their furnace may discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to keep it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not running correctly or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any troubling issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 330-269-7235 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.